Sunday, January 30, 2011

Travel Day

Today has been a crazy exciting and emotionally draining day. I said bye to my parents at the airport at 10:30 pm, did the whole LAX deal and finally got to my gate. I was so happy to find almost everyone from the program, and we were all seated in two rows on the flight so I got to know the people I was sitting next to pretty well early on.

Fourteen hours later we arrived in Auckland where my tent and boots had to be taken out of my very carefully packed luggage for inspection, but thankfully some of the group waited for me. We were running late to get our luggage rechecked for the flight to Christchurch, but we made it just in time for boarding!

When we landed in Christchurch we found the CCSP staff waiting to great us with some delicious muffins. Then we loaded up the vans to head off on our drive to the convent. The country was a lot dryer than I anticipated, but the staff kept reminding us that it is their dry season and that it will look much different by the time we leave.

Seeing Kaikoura made me so excited! It is even more beautiful than I expected, the ocean surrounds the town but you still see Fyfe Mountain. They took us to South Bay (a beach on the way to the convent) were we had a picnic dinner of fish and chips, dad you would have been so jealous.

But none of this beats the campus; I never would have thought that I would live in a place so beautiful. The building was built in 1911, so each room is different and has its own unique touches. Roses, fruit trees, and local flowers surround the campus; and it smells amazing. There is a basketball hoop, volleyball net, hammocks, and a beautiful back patio that allows us to enjoy the wonderful yard and a view of the mountains.

So basically I love it here, the people so far are great, and I can’t wait to see what adventures I am going to encounter!

1 comment:

  1. so glad to hear you love it jordyn! and we are glad you had fish and chips straight away--i think that is the only food i prefer NZ's version of.

    ReplyDelete